Monday, October 11, 2010

Columbus Day


Federal holiday = awesome.
Why? Because your two favorite boys take you on a lovely morning South Mountain hike.



And then your husband decides to make you a fire pit as an early birthday present.



And what good is a fire pit without a Dutch oven dinner to go in it?



Dutch oven #1 contained this little beauty: Chicken Cordon Bleu. We weren't really sure how it would turn out since the recipe isn't necessarily for Dutch ovens, but it was well worth the risk. We added some leftover mashed potatoes and broccoli to the side for a perfect dinner.


And Dutch oven #2? This piece of heaven: Mississippi Mud Cake. In fact, it was so heavenly that it wasn't until the cake was half-eaten that I remembered I still needed to take a picture for posterity's sake. Recipe here.

4 comments:

Mike Woods said...

Awesome & mouthwatering!

Diane said...

I love when people put food ideas on their blogs!!! Time to get the Dutch oven out!

Your 72 hours kits were awesome! =)You really should be impressed with yourself because I had nothing for me,Brad,or the kids until last Christmas. I guess you did what you could at the time. I didn't know raisins could go rancid . . . good to know.

Anna said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe. We printed it off. Someday we'll have to try it!

Simmons Family said...

what an awesome b-day present!! That all looks so good. I might have to ask for a fire pit one day too!