This month Jack turns 18 months old, so yesterday was his first official day in nursery all by himself! Yes! It was so nice, but still a little hard for me. I peeked in on him after Sunday School and he saw me and started crying. Other than that, his nursery leaders said that he really did pretty well. They ask for a picture of each of the kids to put on the wall, so he had a little photo shoot before church and this was the cutest one:
So, I think I'm going to try to wean him off his binkie this month. He only uses it at bedtime right now, but the last few nights I've noticed that he's thrown it out of his crib and fallen asleep without one. This might be the best time to get him off it. I am a little worried that it could be rough on him, though. He's not really old enough for me to be able to explain to him what I'm doing or try to reason with him. At the same time, I want to do it before he gets really attached to it. Any suggestions? This could totally be a failed attempt, but I'm going to give it a shot.
7 comments:
Nursery! He has grown up so fast! The picture is so cute of him.
Well, his dad's parents weaned him off his binky when they were sure he was ready. But he fooled them and sucked his thumb for 2 years, and wore braces forever to correct the protruding front teeth. But we are sure that your son won't do that....
His Granna suggests waiting until he can throw it in the trash or out the window, and understand that it is really gone.
I remember being excited when my kids went to nursery. My Sabrina was majorly hooked on her binkie and it was around the time when The Little Mermaid came out. She did not like Ursula at all and one day I took them and told her Ursula took them--she believed it. And never asked for them again. Okay, so I lied to her-but I didn't want to be the bad one :)
I just read Mike Woods comment--I agree-there were times that I would catch her sucking her thumb. I've heard of people tying them to balloons and sending up to heaven for other babies that need them-and that it's worked too. I do believe I should have waited a bit longer. After all he is your baby and they grow up so fast. Brittany will be a sophmore next year-yikes!
Sometimes I think the mommy is more attached to the binky than the child...at least that is how it was in my case. Go for a trial run. Forget it on purpose when you would normally have it. Improvise and see how bad it really is. He might surprise you! Good luck!
Tell Jack Grammy will save him from his mean Mom!
We had Ethan throw his away in the garbage and he understood what was happening...it was his decision. If you do it too young, they don't understand and they still need it. We did the same thing with Gavin and he's doing good, so far...
Post a Comment